Friday, March 14, 2014

Sewalong Day 1


Sew Together Bag Sewalong
Day 1


I’m so excited you are here and ready to get started!  Disclaimer:  For all of you who can’t live without DVR – you know who you are – you may want  to wait until the end of the sewalong and make the whole bag at once, with no “commercials”.   LOL!


You’ve ordered your pattern and zippers, cut out your pieces, and now you are ready to roll.  I will be following the pattern very closely and adding tons of pictures, so next time you can refer to your pattern and you won’t even need this tutorial!


I’m all about the little things that make your project look professional.  Before I start a bag or tote, I wind myself a bobbin of at least 4-5 colors of thread to match my fabric. 

As I sew the project, I use these bobbins to topstitch so my threads match my fabric.  If I’m topstitching a piece with red on top and orange on the bottom, I will use the red bobbin as my thread (on top of my machine) and the orange one in my bobbin.  If this seems like madness to you, just choose a neutral color and stick with it through the whole project.  


I’m using fabric from Moda’s Mixed Bag line.  I purchased a Fat 8th bundle and was able to make a Mini Swoon Quilt and 3 Sew Together Bags!  So, my sew together bag is rather scrappy.  One thing I love about this pattern is… the more scraps you use, the more adorable it seems to become.




First, you will take out your 4 side panel pieces.  Decide which 2 panels you would like on the outside of your bag and fuse the interfacing to those outside panels. 


Place 1 outside panel (with interfacing) and 1 inside panel with Right Sides Together.  Stitch around 3 sides, leaving the longest side open.  Use seam allowances as written in the pattern.

Clip the corners as shown.  Be careful not to clip your stitches!  This will help it lay flat when you turn it right-side out.


 

Turn the panel right-side out and use your finger to “press” the seam and make sure there isn’t any extra fabric hiding in there.  I run my finger along the inside of the panel seams and push the corners out with a point turner or other fairly dull object.  Press with a hot iron.  I don’t use steam because it tends to warp my interfacing.  I like to use the cotton/linen setting with no steam and press each spot for a few seconds, trying not to move my iron across my project.  This helps avoid stretching the fabric.



Now, top stitch around the seams.  I usually topstitch about a fat 1/8” in from the edge and set my stitch length between 2.5 and 3.  Don’t forget to change it back when you’re done!   


Finally, we will skip to step 6A on your pattern.  Follow the directions and put a pin in each fold line as shown.





Ta-Da!  You are done with Day 1 and have completed your side panels!  


Tomorrow is Zipper Day… Can I have a “WOOT!  WOOT!”???

Don't forget to post your progress to our Flickr Group - Thank you to all of you who have shared your fabric choices on IG and Flickr!  #sewtogethersewalong

See you tomorrow!

Heather






22 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you are doing this sew along!! I have made one bag, but visuals would have made it more easily understood!!! So I am sewing along to help solidify the process in my brain, and because sew alongside are fun!! Can't wait to see everyone's fabric choices!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm a late starter, but enjoying your sewalong! Just a ? . You say to iron the interfacing on to the outside piece, pattern says to the lining. Does it make any difference? ? Thanks! Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it makes a difference. I probably just didn't read the pattern well enough! Thanks for pointing that out!

      Delete
    2. For me, I would probably go ahead and fuse it to the outside piece, because it would give nice stability to that outside piece when the bag is in use. Just an idea. I've must recently bought this sooo cute pattern and will be starting on it tomorrow!! If all goes well, I hope to make several for my quilting friends for Christmas.

      Delete
  3. I've got all the fabric and zippers for this project but I doubt which interface to use. Is it light interfacing or the one that makes the fabric become stiff?
    I'm waiting for your answer to start.
    I love the fabric you chose and you are the perfect teacher! you explanations and photos are great!
    Thanks so much for this tutorial.

    Thanks for your help

    Greetings from Spaina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would very much like to see this answer as well. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I used a light weight interfacing - Pellon 911F. It seemed to be just right! Good luck!

      Delete
  4. I have got this step down and top stitching done! I have also pinned the center fold line. Where do I pin the other two pins on the panel? Thank you so much for this helpful tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I'm making the larger modified version, do I need a modified side panel?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Heather!
    Could you give me the exact dimensions?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because this is a Sew-A-Long that accompanies a copyrighted pattern, no measurements are given. Please refer to the pattern for exact dimensions.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Muchas gracias, ahora si puedo entender el patron.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather, your sew-along photos are awesome! I bought the pattern, and have a question before I start to cut. She has the pattern for the side panel in her directions, and my question is, do I cut it out as is, or I have to add a 1\4 inch seam alowance? Thank you! You really make it look easy :) my friend Marion suggested your SAL :)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wrote loads, lost password, eventually got another one, lost comment, so the abridged version is: bought pattern, read it, panicked, serendipity stepped in, found the Sew-a-Long, I CAN DO THIS☺, taking it one stitch at a time. Starting tomorrow. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there! So glad to find this tutorial! I bought the pattern from SewDemented and downloaded and printed it, and although the pattern for the side panel has the words "Press Line," there is no line printed on my pattern. Am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the tutorial but where is the pattern I will would like to make and follow along

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am very inexperienced at sewing and have been itching to try this pattern. I feel blessed that I stumbled across your blog. Thank you for hosting this sew along and more importantly leaving it up for those late to the party.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes I am wondering the same thing. And what do we press? A dart?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so so glad I found this tutorial!!!I bought the pattern months ago and the bag was sitting half finished by my machine for months because I could not understand the directions.... Again> thank you for this!!! I get in now. Im making this my my daughter in laws mom... Ill prolly make a million now....that i get it. :)

    ReplyDelete